[PLUG] want Wifi AP selection software

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Mar 18 05:43:07 UTC 2005

I am currently running hostap and a prism2 wifi card.  I use it
in many different situations (WEP/open, static/dhcp) and with
many different sites, and often in places where there is more
than one ESSID available.  I deal with this for now by using
scripts (run as root) that copy the appropriate config file on
top of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 .  There has
got to be an easier way - say an X popup + scroll and select
interface that lets me choose among the available known and
new APs that are available.  I understand windoze and mac do
something like this, and imagine the there is a similar Linux
offering somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Keith