[PLUG] FSCK what's going on?

Carlos Konstanski ckonstan at lunarlogic.com
Sun Mar 20 06:09:47 UTC 2005

What do you mean when you say "ran a fsck from knoppix"?  Did you run an
"e2fsck" without the -f option, or did you run an actual "fsck"?  You
say the checked out clean.  Was this right away when running the fsck
command, or after a lengthy disk check?  e2fsck without a -f will often
not even bother to run a disk check.

I like to run "e2fsck -fptv" (sometimes with the -c option to run
badblocks).  If that doesn't succeed, I then run "fsck -C".  That has
always worked for me.  I also use knoppix for this procedure.

e2fsck is a wrapper around fsck.ext3.  I'm thinking it's kinda pointless to
run e2fsck.  Maybe use fsck directly instead.