[PLUG] video help please, and I swear I won'

Michael D. Harris D.M.D. michael.harrisdmd at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 22:46:27 UTC 2005

Hello there PLUG friends,

   I just joined this list in the last couple of weeks  and joined today from my work so I could get some help.

   I was at the clinic on Saturday and got a bunch of great help, thank you to those who helped me out.

   Then I got home and was all charged up about playing with my machine and getting it updated.  I use Debian Sarge.  I did an update using the GUI in Gnome, and when I tried to upgrade, or smart upgrade many files were not found from the OSU site.  So, armed with my new knowledge of how to get around in the Shell and make changes to stuff, I changed my apt source  and got all the upgrades I guess I needed.  During the install portion of my adventure, I saw the text I remember dreading in the past.  That segment of stuff asking about my monitor and video card.  Now, if you ask my Windoze buddies, they think I am a master at installing Linux because in the last few years I have installed and used several versions, getting a little better with each install.   But the truth is, I am sort of a novice at this.  I just don't want to have to re-install Linux to get my video working again, because I KNOW I DON'T HAVE TOO!!!.  But that is the way I have done it in the past.

Gawd this is wordy,

I have an nVidia Geforce card, and a flat panel monitor.  It seems to me, in the past I did not refer to it as an LCD during the little set up wizard and it worked fine.  This UPGRADE kind of caught me off guard and I said yes to the question that asked if I was using an LCD.  I would like to know how to go undo this portion of that wizard, or what file I have to edit.  I have tried and plan on trying xf86config when I get home tonight.  I have even removed the NV card and plugged straight into the onboard video (MSI MB, Athon XP) and plan on trying a few configs this way.  Oh, and of course I am only in text mode now, Shelling, which is not my strong suit, but I am not afraid of it.