[PLUG] my video problem

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Thu Mar 24 20:21:14 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 11:48 am, Michael D. Harris D.M.D. wrote:
> I noticed I have a file xf86config and one called xf86config-4.  The
> -4 file has info in it concerning and nVidia card and this file does
> not get altered when I run xf86config.  Could that file be the one my
> system used prior to my doing the upgrade, and if so, how do I get it
> to be used again?

What distro and version are you running? What were you running before
the upgrade?

There was a transition period between XFree86 3.x and 4.x where distros
would ship with both versions because not all drivers had been ported
from 3.x to 4.x. So depending on what video card you had it would use
either 3.x or 4.x and get the config info from file xf86config or
xf86config-4 respectively.

Terry