[PLUG] Mouse Not Domesticated on One Machine

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 25 00:51:05 UTC 2005

   I have a problem with gpm on my development box's consoles: it's wild and
not domesticated as it is on the other box, and on all previous linux hosts
(portable or fixed). I have no clue what causes this behavior and have not
found an answer on google. (I did find someone running Slackware who solved
this problem by changing the type from ps2 to imps2. I tried all available
mouse types; most did not work while ps2 and imps2 cause the wild scrolling
behavior).

   The problem is that any movement of the trackball causes the screen to
scroll. If a login prompt is displayed, pointer movement causes new login
prompts to show up in a vertical column. If I have text on the console (e.g.,
displayed with the pager 'less') movement of the trackball causes the display
to scroll rapidly. This means I cannot block text to past on another console
or on the other host.

   When X is running the wild rodent settles down and behaves as it should.

   The motherboard on the machine is a Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra; the CPU is an
Athlon XP+ 3100; the OS is Slackware-10.0.

   Ideas, anyone?

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)