[PLUG] video help please, and I swear I won'

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Fri Mar 25 02:54:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 21:19 -0800, Michael Harris wrote:
> Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Michael D. Harris D.M.D. wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to know how to go undo this portion of that wizard, or what
> >> file I have to edit. I have tried and plan on trying xf86config when
> >> I get
> >> home tonight.
> >

> > Mike,
> >
> >   The file you want is /etc/X11/xf86config (or /etc/X11/xorg.conf). Go
> > look
> > in the Monitor section. Both of my desktop systems run xorg-6.8.1 and in
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf I have:
>
> I notice that I have a file xf86Config-4 that LOOKS like it has all my
> values in it.  When I run xf86config it looks like it changes the file
> xf86config, but leaves the xf86config-4 alone.  I am wondering if the -4
> file is the one being used?  Any ideas?
>
> Mike
Mike,

Early version of XFree86 used the XF86Config-4 file.  I linked the
XF86Config-4 to the XF86Config file.  Probably the wrong thing to do
because they would not have renamed the configuration file without a
good reason.  Wouldn't they?!?  The current version of XFree86 uses the
xorg.conf file name for the configuration.