[PLUG] video help please, and I swear I won'

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 25 03:02:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Kenneth G. Stephens wrote:

> Early version of XFree86 used the XF86Config-4 file.  I linked the
> XF86Config-4 to the XF86Config file. Probably the wrong thing to do because
> they would not have renamed the configuration file without a good reason.
> Wouldn't they?!? The current version of XFree86 uses the xorg.conf file
> name for the configuration.

   If I'm not mistaken, Ken, the earlier versions of XFree86 (3.x and lower)
used XF86Config and the latest versions use the XF96Config-4 file. However,
there are licensing issues with XFree86 that cropped up a year or so ago.
X.org forked from XFree86 and provides an equivalent -- but completely
unencumbered -- X Window System for linux and other F/OSS. The X.org config
file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf. See <http://www.x.org/>. Their first release was
x.org-6.7; they've just released x.org-6.8.2.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)