[PLUG] Managed servers

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Mar 31 01:01:08 UTC 2005

One interesting alternative to both managed servers and your own
colo box is a virtual colo set up with User Mode Linux.  I have such
a "machine" at vcolo.com, costing me $23/month.  I serve 8 websites
(one added today, took 5 minutes), 4 mailing lists, 3 wikis, and a
subversion development server off it, and back it up to my office
backup server (dirvish, of course), over a VPN tunnel.

These are normally $20/mo, but I added an extra IP address to do
Randal's high-MX spam trapping, and added 2GB of disk space for
an onsite backup of the machine.  I hope to have 15 second
scriptkiddy detection and alternate image reboot someday.

I hope to have a presentation ready for PLUG or Advanced Topics
Real Soon Now.  One more test will be to see if I can do a live
failover to a different ISP, probably Rimuhosting of New Zealand by
way of Dallas.  This would give me 10Gbps connectivity, meaning I
could use up my monthly bandwidth allotment in under 30 seconds ...

Keith