[PLUG] Re: Strange Errors

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Thu Mar 31 22:29:39 UTC 2005

> On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 10:24 -0800, Wil Cooley wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 10:07 -0800, R Haack wrote:
>>
>>> I just noticed in my messages log file on our email server that
>>> I'm
>>> getting the following errors on a consistent basis.  I'm using
>>> Fedora
>>> Core 2 with all of the latest updates and running Postfix with
>>> Cyrus for
>>> our mail server.  We don't have LDAP turned on at the moment.
>>> Anybody
>>> know how to fix this problem so that these messages go away?
>>>
>>> Mar 31 09:51:25 nclack pop3[20490]: could not find password
>>> Mar 31 09:51:26 nclack pop3[21968]: unable to open Berkeley db
>>> /etc/sasldb2: No
>>> such file or directory
>>
>> What pwcheck_method are you using?  If saslauthd, which
>> authentication mechanism are you using?
>
> I see similar errors as well but have never looked into it..
>

> Postfix and Dovecot (Ubuntu Hoary)
>

> pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
>

> saslauthd is using
>
> MECHANISMS="shadow"
>

> /etc/sasldb2 is 660 root:sasl
>

> I'm sort of figuring that it's a permission problem to the file..
> could adding postfix to group sasl solve the issue? However, saslauthd
> seems to be running as root via ps -eaf | grep sasl
>
> I've not had any issues authenticating, send or receiving, via
> multiple connection types... pop3s, imaps, smtp(tls).. Is it something
> that needs to be cleaned up or is it just noise?
>
> A-

I recently set this up for me and here are some good links I found.  I
forget which will fix this error but I know I saw had to do a setting
in postfix to resolve it.  In either case these are all the links I
used.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2004-02/1935.html

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/suse/security/2004/03/msg00197.html

look through all chapters here: