[PLUG] Re: finding out who manages a domain

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed May 4 00:12:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 01:58:28PM -0700, keith morse wrote:
> Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> >    http://www.web.com
> >    This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
> >    DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.
> >
> >The last two lines being of interest here.
>
> Actually I've got access to the domain management (at a registrar level)
> for this domain.  But they do not host the dns zones.  I also confirmed
> this via a phone call to web.com

OK, so you just edit the domain record to change the name servers to
ones you control.  You'll want two of 'em, and you'll enter in
hostnames and IP addresses for both.

You'll find the "support" page helpful in answering any questions you
have about this.  See, in particular:
http://support.web.com/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=97#q5

I don't know if web.com provides name services (DNS).  They probably
do, since they offer mail forwarding (which is a dandy service in itself.)

A "volunteer first-tier support" B