[PLUG] Brain the size of a planet - algol

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Thu May 5 13:58:58 UTC 2005

You know, that reminds me of a story. A few years ago, the scientists
somewhere (Bell Labs, I think) discovered some unusual radio waves
buried in the typical background noise that affects communications. So
they analyzed it and came to the conclusion that it was, in fact, the
echoes of the Big Bang that created the Universe as we know it. IIRC
they got a Nobel prize for this.

They took the waveforms back to the lab and wrote a program to simulate
the equations of the Big Bang to verify their conjecture. When they ran
the simulation, the radio signals they had detected were indeed present.
Then one scientist got the idea, "What if we run the simulation
backwards ... we could find out what happened *before* the Big Bang!"

In eager anticipation, they adjusted a few parameters and re-ran the
simulation. They took the waveforms and piped them into a primitive
speaker and heard

"Oops"