[PLUG] Re: SASL for SOHO?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu May 5 16:50:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 07:12 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I've been running postfix for a couple of years now in my SOHO; on a busy
> day we have two users. Are there any security -- or other advantages -- of my
> installing cyrus-sasl here?

If you're traveling and want to send your e-mail out through your own
server (bypassing or avoiding whatever local SMTP server--if there is
one), you'll need to set up SASL and SMTP AUTH.  (And also SMTPS (over
SSL) and probably also 'submission', which handily allows you to avoid
restrictions from local firewalls on outbound mail.)

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *