[PLUG] No subject

plug at martinconsulting.com plug at martinconsulting.com
Thu May 5 19:51:08 UTC 2005

Subject: E-mail timestamps

I think this is a common problem, but I haven't had to deal with it before.
Some e-mail clients are receiving e-mail with incorrect date/time stamps.
In a recent example, the e-mail was dated Jan. 15, 1904.  In another case
the e-mail was actually generated by a form on a webpage.  In all cases,
the Received: headers have reasonable dates and times, telling me that
all the intervening servers are OK.  The dates are off by weeks or more,
so it's not just a timezone thing.

I've been concluding that it's a problem on the individual user's PCs, but
it only started happening (or at least being reported) after I installed a
new e-mail server.  I've never seen this on any of my other e-mail servers,
and they all run Postfix.  I see the incorrect "Date" lines in the spool
file, so it isn't a problem on the receiving user's MUA.

Is this really a problem with the sender's MUA, or am I missing something?

-Brian