[PLUG] Linux Printing

Tony Schlemmer aschlemm at comcast.net
Fri May 6 20:08:35 UTC 2005

On Friday 06 May 2005 13:39, Matt Alexander wrote:
> First off, I know next to nothing about *nix printing, so forgive me
> if this sounds silly.
>
> We're migrating from Tru64 to RHES 3 and I've been given the
> fun-filled task of setting up the printers the same on Linux as was on
> Tru64.  I've copied /etc/printcap over to a test Linux box.  cupsd is
> running.  What else would I need to do?  "lp -d TESTPRINTER <
> testfile" gives me this error:
>
> lp: unable to print file: client-error-not-found
>
> Thanks,
> ~M

We have a number of RHES 3 systems in our office and for setting up printing I
just run "redhat-config-printer" while logged in as root. Newer Linux systems
tend to use CUPS and it's a whole lot easier to have an easy to use GUI hide
the nasty details of configuring CUPS. It's quite flexible and can handle
locally connect printers, and/or remote printers using a variety of protocols
including: LPD, SMB, DirectJet or another CUPS server.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer
aschlemm at comcast.net