[PLUG] Linux Printing

Matt Alexander lowbassman at gmail.com
Fri May 6 22:28:11 UTC 2005

On 5/6/05, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 11:39:17AM -0700, Matt Alexander wrote:
> > First off, I know next to nothing about *nix printing, so forgive me
> > if this sounds silly.
> >
> > We're migrating from Tru64 to RHES 3 and I've been given the
> > fun-filled task of setting up the printers the same on Linux as was on
> > Tru64.  I've copied /etc/printcap over to a test Linux box.  cupsd is
> > running.  What else would I need to do?  "lp -d TESTPRINTER <
> > testfile" gives me this error:
> >
> > lp: unable to print file: client-error-not-found
>
> Make sure cups-bsd is installed.  That makes CUPS act like lpr.  By
> default, it'll make all the CUPS print queues available as lpr queues,
> which makes things pretty easy.  You can also set up aliases, I think.
>
> By default, CUPS figures out the format of the print job and processes
> it accordingly.  That means you can send it PostScript, JPEG, text,
> PDF, and maybe TIFF and/or PCL stuff.  If some clients are expecting
> to send raw-format stuff (e.g. PCL, Epson, DEC) straight to the
> printer, you can set up raw queues.

The problem is, I've got about 100 printers (and all their aliases)
already defined in the Tru64 printcap file.  I really don't want to
recreate each printer in cups and locate each printer to determine
which make/model it is.  So I was hoping for a way to have cups
process the printcap file directly.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
~M