[PLUG] Re: Go OSU!!

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat May 7 06:00:10 UTC 2005

Regards the Firefox logo drawn on the center of the OSU quad:

> I am a little surprised they didn't get rousted by Campus Security.

I went to OSU, and the campus police were "legendary".   They were
often the target of practical jokes, and the particular focus of the
residents of second-floor Weatherford, known as the "Nads".

For example, the time that the Nads stole the water fountain from the
Corvallis police department, and left it in the corner of the outer
office of the Campus police - where it stayed, unconnected and
nonfunctional, for months, as the Kops waited for Facilities to
connect it (the little "Property of the City of Corvallis" tag
apparently exceeded their reading abilities).

Their police radios never worked.  They always ended up with blown
transmitters.  One of the Nads had this pesky habit of reaching up
inside the fender to the antenna mount with a length of wire and
alligator clips, shorting the whip to the fender.  The shorting
wire would typically fall off as they sped back to the Kop Shop
to report their dead radio.  They never figured this out.  Perhaps
the tradition continues today.

The snow-covered "volkswagon" stalled on the railroad tracks running
through campus during a snowstorm was a nice touch.  When a westbound
freight came through campus (yes, the main freight tracks ran through
the campus), the Kampus Kops called for an emergency stop of the
locomotive, while they pondered how to move the stalled vehicle off
the tracks.  The Nads solved the problem, by running out to kick the
volkswagon-shaped snow sculpture to pieces.

That was 30 years ago.  Last year we were at OSU to watch the human
powered vehicle race at DaVinci days.  The race went west down
Campus Way, a narrow street that necks down to one lane in places.
A brilliant Kampus Kop decided to watch the oncoming race with
her Kop Kar blocking the lane,  so the oncoming vehicles had
to divert over curbs and onto the sidewalk to avoid collisions.

So I do not believe that OSU Campus Security would be capable of
detecting the existence of students painting the quad at night.
And if the cops did somehow manage to notice, they could easily
be neutralized with donut-laden mousetraps, or phony job offers
from the Department of Homeland Security.

Keith