[PLUG] Re: Okay after awk I need....

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sun May 8 01:39:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 04:13:44PM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Aaron> For me it's simple:  If you're reading a pipeline, it should go
> Aaron> left-to-right, with minimal ambiguity about where the data's coming
> Aaron> from and what's being done to it.
>
> So, start it with <filename.  No need to waste a process.

Heck, cat's a builtin most of the time, innit?
Remainder of my argument elided, since it's purely about habit,
personal aesthetics and some finer points of *nix pedagogy.

It seems extremely nitpicky to criticize the use of cat instead of <
(Kinda like criticizing a mechanic for using a socket wrench when a
combo will do) so I figure I must be missing the point.

> I even say that in my UUOC award.  Did you read the referenced URL?  No?
> I'm shocked. :)

Couldn't be arsed to shell out and fire up lynx.  Did you read my
User-Agent header?  No?  I'm shocked.  ;)

--
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction
to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.