[PLUG] resolv.conf -> dhcpd.conf

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon May 9 22:08:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 04:53:37PM -0500, Tony Schlemmer wrote:
> On Monday 09 May 2005 16:27, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > I'm trynta come up with some way to grab the DNS servers from
> > resolv.conf, and pass them along to the clients on the inside.

> Is the NAT/router box not connected to the same ISP all of the time? Is there
> any reason you cannot just hardcode the IP addresses of the ISP's DNS ?

Unfortunately, the box may get installed at different sites, so I
can't count on a particular set of DNS servers.

> For my own NAT box I went so far as to setup BIND9 and have it
> forwarding lookups to Comcast's nameservers for any hosts it doesn't
> know about.

That's not a bad way to do things, but I'm leery about adding a
caching name server to the setup.  I'm trying to keep it simple and
transparent as possible and avoid disturbing the existing config at
the site.