[PLUG] It's Here!!

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at verizon.net
Tue May 10 05:32:29 UTC 2005

John -

> And there is (as I feared) a problem with the video. It should be
> running at 1280 x 800. Instead it is 1024 x 768, vesa. I right-clicked
> on the desktop and went into settings, but that's the only resolution
> option. I think I remember someone here or in the R3000 e-list
> saying that he had a problem with the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 and
> how he resolved it. I'll research that later.

I am not familiar with ATI cards, since I'm an Nvidia guy, but my laptop
has an 1280x800 display, and it is not supported by the standard X
configuration tools (I run FC3).  The only distro I've used that
detected and configured it right the first time was Ubuntu.  I would
suggest Googling for something like "Radeon 1280x800 xorg.conf" and look
for people who have set it up.  It will probably involve hand editing
your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, though perhaps Yast is better at adding
custom stuff than Fedora's tools.

> Sound is working. And I put a symphony CD in the drive and it
> popped up KsCD and started playing it. However, there is a
> problem with the volume. With the volume control in KsCD and the
> volume control on the system tray both at 100%, it is about one
> quarter as loud as it should be for normal listening. I'm not sure
> what is wrong. Also, I paused the play, but it doesn't stay paused.
> It goes back to playing after a few minutes. I tried the Stop button
> instead, but when I click on Play it goes back to the beginning
> instead of resuming. Night be a KsCD problem.

Modern linux distributions use the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
(ALSA) for sound, which has separate mixer settings for a whole bunch of
stuff, including CD and PCM (MP3/OGG/whatever digital audio).  Open the
volume control and look for the CD mixer, it's probably set way low.

Hope that helps, perhaps someone more familiar with SuSE and KDE can
chime in a bit.

Jason