[PLUG] It's Here!!

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue May 10 18:43:19 UTC 2005

On 10 May 2005, at 9:38, Ron Braithwaite wrote:

> The latest version of Mandrake (what would have been 10.2), known as
> Mandriva 2005LE does support it. Current stuff for LCDs is: 1024x768,
> 1280x1024, 1280x800, 1400x1050, 1440x900 (which is what I run),
> 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1200, 640x480, and 800x600. Something for
> everyone.
>
> You can download ISOs or use bittorrents by joining the MandrivaClub
> (various levels, ranging from free to expensive - I've been a Silver
> Club level for years) at: http://www.mandrivaclub.com/
>
> I just gave a copy of the latest Mandriva disks to someone who had
> never tried Linux before and they said that it was easier to set up
> than Windows. Good stuff.

Ron,

Thanks to you and all the others here with their suggestions.

I've just discovered something. Suse 9.3 seems to have installed
itself all over my computer. I KNOW I told it to use HDa2 (15 Gb),
but it seems to be in HDa4 (44 Gb), which I had reserved for my
own files. (HDa3 is a 2 Gb swap disk and HDa1 is the still
untouched Windows installation.)

Before I forget, is there a file manager that shows the partition you
are looking at? Every time I use Konqueror it just shows folders. I
have no idea where I am. You know the old file manager that came
with Windows 3.0 and 3.1? Something like that, showing all the
partitions and their folders in a tree-like text-only window (suffering
from icon overload here).

And while I'm on that subject, I need some education about the
different folders. Like /etc, /usr, and so on. I understand the need
for short names back in the days when everything had to be typed,
but I have no idea what those folders mean or what is supposed to
be in them. Or where I am supposed to install programs. Or where
my own data files are supposed to go. Is there a beginner's intro to
Linux folder conventions somewhere? Something I could print out
and tape up on the wall here would be handy.

I think I'm going to have to wipe out Suse 9.3 and reinstall. It's the
only way I can think of to get it out of my data partition and into the
partition I want it in. And, considering my current frustration with
Suse 9.3, I'm open to suggestions for something else. I have
Fedora Core 3 here on DVD and CD with the Sam's "unleashed"
book I got down at Powell's. But if Mandriva will recognize the
Radeon Xpress 200 and set it up at 1280 x 800 like it is supposed
to be, maybe that would be a better choice.

And how do I get rid of Suse? Parts of it are in the small partition it
was supposed to be in, but I think it's just empty folders in there.
The rest is in the big partition. Should I just format them both? I
know Windows would scream bloody murder if you tried to format
the drive it's on -- you have to do it from a boot floppy with format or
fdisk or something.

Man, I wish the next Clinic meeting was tonight! Only at the rate
I'm going I'd need a whole Clinic _weekend_ to get this thing
working right! And by the time it was over you guys would be ready
to throw my computer off the Marquam bridge and me after it. :(