[PLUG] It's Here!!

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed May 11 01:09:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, John Jordan wrote:
> And while I'm on that subject, I need some education about the different
> folders. Like /etc, /usr, and so on. I understand the need for short
> names back in the days when everything had to be typed, but I have no
> idea what those folders mean or what is supposed to be in them. Or where
> I am supposed to install programs. Or where my own data files are
> supposed to go. Is there a beginner's intro to Linux folder conventions
> somewhere? Something I could print out and tape up on the wall here
> would be handy.

There's a nice page or two on the subject in Essential System
Administration.  If you don't have that, you should get it and read it...
twice.  At least read it once now and again in six or eight months after
you've been doing things your way for a while and have some of your own
mental constructs in place.

Your own data files are all in /home and that's mostly where they belong.
I personally keep a /usr/local/public where data files are stored that
everyone's going to access (like music and movies).

The way I run things, I never ever touch anything but /home, /usr/local,
and /etc (and only there to modify configuration files).  Everything else,
I sacrifice to St. Debian.  I build software in /usr/local/src for
installation in /usr/local... etc.

And at some point or another, everything needs to be typed.

J.
--
      Jeme A Brelin
     jeme at brelin.net