[PLUG] Reinstall?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed May 11 19:12:52 UTC 2005

On 11 May 2005, at 10:25, Rich Burroughs wrote:

> Yeah, it sounds like John is very new, I'm not sure this would be a
> great plan for him. Reinstalling might be a better bet if he has not
> spent a lot of time doing post-install config stuff.
>
> John, it seems like you are really anxious to get things rolling, but
> one thing you might consider is putting on the brakes for a bit and
> bringing your laptop and install media to the next PLUG clinic.

Yes, I have been using Linux for about a week now. I understand
about not being in a hurry, but I'm learning a lot just poking at stuff.
I will definitely come to the Clinic on the 21st. I've had a big red
circle around that date on my calendar for several days now. But I
suspect getting the video right may be challenging even for you
gurus. In the meantime, I intend to install some different packages.
Not just to see if they can handle the video better, but also for the
experience of trying different distros. Like, I already tried Fedora
Core 3 yesterday from the DVD that came in the book I bought at
Powell's. Unfortunately, the installation froze the computer 1
minutes after I started it. I tried several more times, but it always
froze the computer at exactly the same spot. Next on my list are
Mandriva and Ubuntu.

I'm also spending time getting up to speed with Linux applications
and utilities, like being able to play a music CD and stuff. Tonight
I'm going to try a movie DVD. Tomorrow I'm going to take it to the
university to see if the wireless works. There's a lot of stuff to do
besides getting the video working right.