[PLUG] DNS issues

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Wed May 11 21:15:45 UTC 2005

try doing a traceroute, ping -c1, and a 'host google.com $DNSSERVER a
bunch of times in a loop.

For instance, to see if you've got an intermittent latency issue, do

for i in `seq 1 1000` ; do host google.com 155.101.246.110 ; done

and doing it with a ping, and traceroute will start to indicate if it
is an issue with response time of BIND on the server (or whatever it's
running), latency in the network, etc.

/eli

On 5/11/05, Ovid <publiustemp-plug at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I first set up my DSL through Earthlink, I discovered that my DNS
> resolution was very, very slow.  Earthlink wouldn't help me because I
> was running FC2.  A friend sent me a list of nameserver IP addresses to
>  add to my /etc/resolv.conf and that fixed the problem.
>
> Today, the problem is back with a vengeance (at least, I assume  it's
> DNS related).  I can surf and when I finally get to a page it loads
> quickly and when I hit refresh it reloads quickly.  It's that initial
> lag which is killing me.
>
> How the heck do I diagnose issues like this?  More importantly, any
> pointers on fixing them?
>
> My iBook is running on the same network and it's not having any
> problems.  (It's going through the wireless router which in turn is
> connected to the Netopia DSL modem.  The FC2 box is connected directly
> to the Netopia DSL modem).
>
> Cheers,
> Ovid
>
> --