[PLUG] How to burn an ISO image

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu May 12 16:59:12 UTC 2005

On 12 May 2005, at 9:17, Eli Stair wrote:

> Are both your keyboard and mouse USB?  If so, it might just be the
> udev config barfing on it.  Try setting the "Legacy USB Mode" (or
> something similar) in your BIOS just to test it.  Of course, if they
> are both USB and you can get into the BIOS, it is already enabled...
> n/m
>
> Can you get to a virtual console in the installer by pressing
> ctrl-alt-F1 (through F6)?

OK, there is definitely something screwy with the way Linux wants
to treat the keyboard on this thing. I just downloaded and burned
the live ISO for Knoppix 3.8 (thanks to Steven for pointing me in the
right direction). I stuck the CD in the drive and restarted the
compute. It worked *much* better than Ubuntu. Has a prettier
screen than Suse, too. :)

It went ahead and automatically installed itself all the way, from the
CD without installing to the hard disk. After it was fully running I
clicked around on things and then I noticed the clock was wrong,
so I went to adjust the time. Tried to enter my password, and the
keyboard wouldn't work. Opened OpenOffice.org Writer and again,
no keyboard.

Also the touchpad is dead (worked under Suse 9.3), although my
external Logitech USB wireless optical mouse is working fine. And
the display just came up at VESA 1024 x 768. At least Knoppix
lists two other options, 800 x 600 and 640 x 480, but still no 1280
x 800. Screen display is faster under Knoppix, though. And the
display is much more attractive -- 3D effects and shadows on icons
and stuff.

I have no wireless here at home, so yesterday I took it to a friend's
house. Her laptop was seeing her wireless fine, but when I booted
Suse the wireless was dead. I just went into Knoppix network
setup and clicked on "Wavelan." After a moment or two it popped
up a message "no wireless card detected." So that's another
problem I have to work on.

I kind of like Knoppix from what I am seeing -- at meast much more
than Suse, which, after three days of it had become seriously
annoying. Later this afternoon I think I'll install it in a new partition
and then maybe I will play around with stuff to see if I can fix these
problems.

Thanks for the suggestions!