[PLUG] Installing Knoppix

Carlos Konstanski ckonstan at lunarlogic.com
Thu May 12 18:44:12 UTC 2005

Yes.  Boot under a knoppix CD (either in text or gui mode).  Then get a
shell and type "knx2hd".  This launches the installer.

Before you do this, fdisk your hard drive the way you want it and mke2fs
and mkswap as necessary.

Start the installer and go through the "configure setup".  Then choose
"save config".  Save the config to an easy-to-find spot.  Then exit the
installer and edit the file to suit your needs.  The installer does not
give you access to all the config options, which is why you want to do
this.

Then restart the instaler with "knx2hd" and choose "load config".  Load
your config, then immediately commence the installation.

You do not get to select packages.  You get what knoppix gives you,
period.  Once knoppix is up on your rooy filesystem, you want to apt-get
away everything but fluxbox and emacs (just my opinion).

Also, you'll want a revised sources.list:

deb file:/var/cache/apt-build/repository apt-build main
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

# Security updates for "stable"
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free

# Stable
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
# deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Sources
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Testing
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
# deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

# Sources
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

# Unstable
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
# deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Sources
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Experimental
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free

# Mozilla
# deb http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla ./
# deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla ./

# GNOME 2.0
# deb http://www.gnome.de/debian/ ./

# KDE 3
# deb http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde stable main
# deb-src http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde stable main
# We get packages from testing/unstable for now

# cdbakeoven
# deb http://coyote.asoc.euitt.upm.es/mud/debian/ ./

# XFree 4.2/4.3
# deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/i386/
# deb-src http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/source/
# deb http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386 ./
# deb-src http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/source ./

# Java
# deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
# deb-src ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
# deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian unstable main non-free
# deb-src ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian unstable main non-free
# deb http://people.debian.org/~sgybas/jdk13

# Christian Marillat - dvd::rip is available here
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat stable main
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat testing main
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat unstable main

# LyX & others (now in debian/unstable)
# deb ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian unofficial/
# deb-src ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian unofficial/

# Evolution
#deb ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/debian stable main
#deb-src ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/debian stable main

# Blades Repository (pppoeconf & co)
# deb http://people.debian.org/~blade/testing ./
# deb-src http://people.debian.org/~blade/testing ./

# Wine CVS snapshot