[PLUG] Comcast ARP behavior question

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu May 12 18:55:15 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> writes:

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us> writes:
Eric> Everything *looks* ok on their server, with the exception of
Eric> what seems to be an unusual number of ARP packets coming out of
Eric> the Comcast network. I'm seeing between 25-100 ARPs per
Eric> second[1]. I've never worked with cable modems, is that normal?

Russell> Yes.  Comcast is a frigging ARP hurricane.

Not sure this is a peak period, but for quantitative comparison,
running:

  # time tcpdump -c 1000 -n arp
  [...]

  real    3m15.429s
  user    0m0.070s
  sys     0m0.070s

That works out to an average just over 5/second.

seniorr at aracnet.com