[PLUG] Re: Comcast ARP behavior question

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Fri May 13 00:57:50 UTC 2005

On 5/12/05, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thursday May 12 2005 9:31 am, keith morse wrote:
>
> > Personally, I'd put a MS-windows box on the cable modem, call their
> > tech support and make them work for you.
>
> Operating system of choice hasn't been a sticking point since the late
> 1990s with the cable company.  They won't hold your hand, but they'll
> at least give you some troubleshooting suggestions.

This depends on the tech you get when you call Comcast.  The vast
majority will help regardless of OS, though a couple times I've had to
say "tell me what you'd do in Windows and I'll do the equivalent thing
on my Linux box".  A sizable minority of the techs are actually
interested in what the equivalent is on Linux.  A tiny minority refuse
to help at all on non-Windows-- call back and get someone else.

However, they always say "we only really support Windows" and if the
problem gets tricky they may pull that card.

  -- Steve