[PLUG] Installing Knoppix

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri May 13 06:13:36 UTC 2005

M> What "actually" happened is that Knoppix has some differences in
M> the packages it requires and their dependencies from the stock
M> Debian repositories. As a result, if you blindly sync your system
M> with Debian, it deletes things you need to have.

Maybe.  It was almost a year ago I think and I've forgotten the
details.  All I remember for sure is the result.  Ah, wait a minute,
here it is in my email archive.  From August 09, 2004:

  It is a Knoppix 3.4 hdinstall (or whatever the command was, about a
  month ago I installed Knoppix on the harddisk) that I subsequently
  updated using apt with the default /etc/apt/sources.list.

Nothing exceptionally "blindly" about that.  If that doesn't work, it
is broken, it seems to me.  That was several versions of Knoppix ago
though, so maybe it has been fixed.

M> There are ways to fix this, but if you want a mix of Sarge and Sid
M> (or Etch and Sid in the not-too-distant future) you're better off
M> installing Sarge directly to your hard disk and keeping Knoppix as
M> a "rescue disk".

I've always hated that moronic alphabet soup of "code names".  I want
an ordinal scale, goddammit.

seniorr at aracnet.com