[PLUG] Linux Networking Question

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Fri May 13 14:58:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 11:11 pm, Robert Anderson said:
> What does `/sbin/route` say? Sounds like you might not have a default
> gateway defined. But if ssh and https work, that might not be the
> case.

Yeah, it's odd. It sounds like it would be a routing issue, but that
doesn't fit with him being able to access other services.

I can suggest a couple of possible things to try:

1) Try the "telnet thatbox 8080" from on the box itself, if your packet
filtering rules should allow that. Then you can at least make sure the
server is accepting connections on that port.

2) Do some packet sniffing (tcpdump, ethereal, whatever). I would sniff on
the Tomcat box while you try to connect in, and then maybe sniff on the
other end, too.

None of this is a fix, just more data to troubleshoot with.

You might also try disabling your packet filtering briefly and test. I
know you said you checked over the iptables stuff and that it looked good,
but we all are capable of overlooking things.

Except maybe Wil.

;)