[PLUG] Mandriva Installation

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Fri May 13 15:05:41 UTC 2005

If you got to the grub prompt, you're not TOO bad off.

At this point, provided the install DID properly set up your
partitions and copy files to your root, you just need to:

1) Find out what partition your /boot or /root are on.
   If you remember, great, if not boot with /K|G/noppix, and do an
'fdisk -l /dev/hda' (provided you have an IDE drive, and you installed
to the primary master.)

2) You need to tell grub to intall itself back to the boot sector
(which it already did properly), and give it a device to point at for
its config (/boot/grub/menu.lst, and others).
   The drive addressing in GRUB SUCKS, for some reason the developers
decided to use a non-standard reference for labeling
drives/partitions.  If you installed your /boot or / onto /dev/hda1,
grub calls this (hd0,0), and if it's on /dev/hda3 (hd0,2).

Here I'll give you a quick, maybe partially correct command set.
Provided your /boot directory (or / if you don't have one) is on
/dev/hda2

in the grub shell:

root (hd0,1)

setup (hd0)

quit

Rebooting (should) get you into your boot menu for the system,
provided the layout you gave it is correct, and there are no other
problems.

/eli

On 5/13/05, John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> Last night I downloaded Mandriva 10.1 three-CD set. Just installed
> it. Installation went fine -- I told it to install over Suse. I rebooted at
> the end of the installation, but all I get is a text screen that says
> "grub>." Of course I have no paper documentation and, since I
> can't get it to boot I have no online documentation.
>
> I read about Grub in the Fedora Core 3 Unleashed book, and I went
> to the BootPrompt Howto at ibiblio.org. All they give me is
> arguments I can pass to the kernel. They left out what to do if I
> don't want to pass any arguments. I tried hitting enter, but it just
> redisplays grub>. I tried typing "linux," "mandriva" "boot," "load,"
> and several other things, but nothing works.
>
> I really want to try out this distro because, other than Suse, it's the
> only one that got all the way through the installation without killing
> my keyboard and touchpad.
>
> I've reinstalled three times, and each time this is the result after
> rebooting. How do I get it to boot?

--I'm on vacation, and so is my .sig!