[PLUG] DocBook

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri May 13 16:49:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005, AthlonRob wrote:

> I know we have at least a few published authors here... so I thought I'd
> check and see - what did you guys use to create your books?

Rob,

   LyX and LaTeX.

> I'm involved with a project that's using DocBook to create a book... an
> online manual of sorts. It was being built in to HTML/PDF/PS/whatever on a
> FreeBSD box using a BSD Make-based toolchain. However, as we're migrating
> the project to a Linux box, this is no longer an option.

   My understanding is that DocBook is great for technical manauals that will
be "published" primarily on the web.

> Looking around, however, it seems there is not.  Does anybody know why not?
> And has anybody here home-grown something that might work or be adaptable
> and useful by the community at large?

   A google search for "sgml docbook" returns 694,000 hits, with these at the
top:

Exploring SGML DocBook
   In Linux several solutions exist, one of these is using SGML DocBook. to us
 	the different steps in order to obtain a document using SGML DocBook:
 	lwn.net/2000/features/DocBook/ - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

Installing And Using An XML/SGML DocBook Editing Suite
   Installing And Configuring An SGML DocBook Authoring System For Windows
   Using OpenJade to convert SGML DocBook source to an intermediate TeX format
   supportweb.cs.bham.ac.uk/documentation/tutorials/docsystem/build/tutorials/docbooksys/segmentedhtml/
   - 14k - Cached

7.5. An SGML DocBook book template
   An SGML DocBook book template. DocBook books are generally for projects over
  -t rtf -d /path/to/docbook/dbdsssl/print/docbook.dsl booktemplate.sgml
 	supportweb.cs.bham.ac.uk/.../tutorials/docsystem/build/tutorials/docbooksys/segmentedhtml/ch07s05.html
- 6k - Cached - Similar pages

SGML and SGML-Tools
   of DocBook would have been complete without a long excursion into SGML,
   SGML and XML, and detailed descriptions of the SGML DocBook toolchain. ...
   en.tldp.org/HOWTO/ DocBook-Demystification-HOWTO/sgml.html - 9k - Cached -

Setup instructions for a coherent SGML/DocBook environment
 	that enables one to verify SGML documents based on the DocBook DTD and The
   procedure to setup a usable SGML/DocBook environment was so painful that
   adl.opengroup.org/exgr/papers/sgml_setup.html - 13k - Cached - Similar
   pages

HTH,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)