[PLUG] System monitoring

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri May 13 22:18:37 UTC 2005

On 5/13/05 1:48 PM, Matt Alexander wrote:
> I'm looking for a replacement for Big Brother and I'd like some
> feedback about what tools others are using to monitor servers and
> alert admins of problems. I've also heard of Nagios and Zabbix and I'm
> beginning to play around with them.
> Any info you have on products that work good for you and your
> experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I use nagios 2.0b2 to monitor 38 services on 23 hosts/devices. The
initial setup was a bit hairy, but it's worked well since then. My local
setup has two limitations; they aren't limitations in nagios, only in
the amount of time I've put into the project:

1. I've currently only got it doing e-mail notifications since I don't
    yet have a modem attached to the monitoring server.

2. I haven't set up user accounts so that admins responsible for certain
    hosts can login and setup downtimes, mark problems as known, etc.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com