[PLUG] Checkmate: root Cannot Access Files

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Sat May 14 15:21:01 UTC 2005

I'm assuming it's an NFS export.  Unless you specify (no_root_squash)
in the /etc/exports line defining that share, root gets its
permissions slammed down.  Alternately, its UID:GID isn't translating
to something equal on the client either.

Show us the perms for both server- and client-side.

/eli

PS- Using no_root_squash is a bad idea in general practice

On 5/14/05, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    This one has me stymied: three files (one .c source file, two .h header
> files and in two different directories of the same file system) that cannot
> be read or have permissions changed by root across the network. The directory
> listing for one is:
>
> -rw-r-----  1 rshepard users 4591 2005-02-13 10:13 eigen.c
>
> which looks quite normal to me. However, from my main workstation (on which
> the backups run), it's inaccessible. The other three files in that directory
> are fine
>
>    However, when I log into the development machine, I can change the mode to
> 644 which makes it readable from the other host (where it is nfs-mounted).
>
>    Strange -- to me. I'm the owner of the file, so what could be the reason
> for this strange behavior?
>
> Color me puzzled,
>
> Rich
>
> --