[PLUG] Burning DVDs

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Sun May 15 15:21:11 UTC 2005

On 5/15/05, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> OK, overnight I succeeded in downloading Mandriva Linux 2005 LE
> DVD .86_64. It's in 6 files, four ISOs of approximately 695 Mb, labeled
> CD1, CD2, CD3 and CD4, and two very small plain text files.

Sounds like you downloaded 4 CD images, not a DVD image. If you want
to use these, burn them to CDs as usual (cdrecord -v -eject
image.iso).

> This new
> Compaq R4000 laptop has a DVD burner, but I've never used it to burn
> anything yet. However, I have burned CD ISOs from my Windows computer
> using Nero, and I know you don't just copy the files. The laptop is
> currently running Mandriva 2005 LE from the three-CD download, which
> doesn't give me all drivers and goodies I need.
>
> I've looked around and can't find much on burning ISOs to DVD. I did
> discover that if I right-click on a file I can select "burn to CD," but
> that works only for one file at a time. If I select all six files the
> option is no longer available. Evidently I need a different package.
> What is the best software to do it? Are there any special tricks?

The easiest is to install k3b from http://k3b.sourceforge.net/, you'll
need some other tools which are listed on K3B's web page.

Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net
http://wild-light.com