[PLUG] denyhosts for illegal ssh login attempts

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon May 16 17:07:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I got tired of seeing 2000 line logwatch reports with lines like:

Keith,

   Mine don't get that large, but I sometimes see dictionary attacks that are
lengthy.

> Eventually, the bastards might even make it in.  So I downloaded a program
> called DenyHosts ( http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net ) which is called from
> cron, scans /var/log/secure and adds entries to /etc/hosts.deny .

   Kewel. Thanks for the pointer.

> The python program install isn't well documented (including a bit about
> "from version import VERSION" which I commented out) and I would prefer
> something that responded to the log process itself rather than being called
> by cron to scan /var/log files.

   I have a very large postfix UCE table called badip. I suspect that sshd
cracking attempts would drop to zero if hosts.deny could be linked to include
badip. Could this be done? It would coordinate sshd and spam-mail rejections
and keep hosts.deny reasonably short.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)