[PLUG] Changing UID

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon May 16 17:15:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 09:48:20AM -0700, Michael Montagne wrote:
> I need to change a UID.  I have a user that seems to have the same UID
> as sshd.  Can I simply change it in /etc/passwd?  What are the
> repercutions?  The box is a file server with Samba and the workstation
> is winXP.  Should he be logged off when I do this?

You should be able to change it in passwd and chown the user's home
directory and any files (use "find / -user nnn") to the new UID.  You
might have to fix up the UID-to-Samba-user mapping somehow, but I
don't know.

You might want to do that with the user's group ID as well.

How'd the user get the same UID as sshd?  Was the user originally
created on another system, then the info was copied over verbatim?