[PLUG] Slackware Essentials 2.0

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon May 16 20:34:59 UTC 2005

On 5/16/05 1:19 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2005, AthlonRob wrote:
>
>> There's probably a good five or six of us out there.  :-)
>
>   Wow! Whirled domination here we come. :-)

That brings up an interesting question: What metrics should be used to
measure the depth and breadth of a distribution's installed base?

For instance, counting the distros I use at home is easy. There are
three hosts in daily use, each running a different distribution: CentOS,
Debian, and Gentoo.

In other settings, it's a bit more difficult. Assuming that most
sysadmins will try, for sanity's sake, to stick with one distribution
for most/all machines -- should a server room with 50 hosts running some
distro be counted as 50 (number of hosts) or 1 (manager/admin in charge
of making the choice)?

On the one hand, there are 50 machines running XXX distribution. On the
other hand, at upgrade time, the manager/admin may switch them all to
YYY. Should it count as 50 or 1?

The question isn't really serious, I suppose -- just some lunchtime musing.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com