[PLUG] Resolved: Can't Send with KMail

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Tue May 17 01:38:30 UTC 2005

On Monday May 16 2005 3:04 pm, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> On Monday 16 May 2005 2:23 pm, Tony Schlemmer wrote:
> > Comcast even includes steps for configuring KMail in their FAQ:
> >
> > http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=EmailKMail18076
> >
> > I'm sorry I didn't forward this link earlier in this thread as I
> > forgot they listed KMail in their FAQ.
>
> Wow! I'm surprised. I always got the feeling that if you didn't use
> Winders, they couldn't help you. Well, maybe they could help the
> occasional Mac person, but what is this Line Ucks of which you
> speak?

I don't see where people get off that the cable company has that bad
of tech support.  They're typically friendly, you just have to
remember they probably have at least a vague idea of what's going on
from the cable modem to the NOC, and they *have* to work from a
ticklist even if they do have a clue.  This means when you call, you
need to call when...

1) You're running on a long fuse.  If you're a happy drunk or a party
drunk, time to find a bottle of Kokanee.  Usenet reports that other
ceremonial chemicals may make the hold music "crunchy."

2) You have exhausted every possible option and are prepared to go
easter egging with a phone monkey[1].

3) You've already prepared yourself for the shock of lost uptime.
Expect to reboot at least once for every human you talk to.

[1] I generalized everybody working in any call center environment as
a phone monkey and offended an acquaintance out of nowhere:  They
thought I was making a slur against people from India, when I was
making tongue-in-cheek comment about working in a call center where
the mandatory ticklist actually does resolve 90% of the problems
semiautomagically.  A troop of trained monkeys with telephones could
staff that kind of call queue, it's at worst a 3-bananna job.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo at ursine.ca
http://ursine.ca/~baloo/