[PLUG] It's Springtime, so Companies are Migrating

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed May 18 00:30:34 UTC 2005

>From: max.reid at saikonetworks.com
> > It certainly depends a lot on the needs of your company. I had a
> > conversation recently with a Unix admin who told me that he has compared
> > the numbers and that for his company it is more expensive to run RedHat
> > than Solaris because of the increases RedHat has made in their support
> > fees. I haven't compared the numbers directly so I can't say for sure, but
> > I found it interesting.
>
> This is typically true in places with a significant amount of SPARC machines
> lying about. Even in x86 land w/ Sun Hardware, Solaris (especially v 10 ) looks
> very very attractive.

Yeah, Linux-UltraSPARC isn't in the best shape. On x86 though SunOS is
ludicrus. The large multiprocessor machines have tended to be UltraSPARC
which aids SunOS in the multiprocessor area.

> > Obviously RedHat is not the only option, but most larger companies will
> > want a Linux distribution from a company with a proven track record and a
> > dependable support structure.
>
> Realistically speaking for mission critical stuff, your safe pointy hair
> friendly options are limited to: SuSE/Novell or Redhat.

HP has been supporting Debian. I believe a couple other companies have
been supporting Debian on their hardware.