[PLUG] It's Springtime, so Companies are Migrating

max.reid at saikonetworks.com max.reid at saikonetworks.com
Wed May 18 01:09:39 UTC 2005

Quoting Elliott Mitchell <ehem at m5p.com>:

> >From: max.reid at saikonetworks.com
> > > It certainly depends a lot on the needs of your company. I had a
> > > conversation recently with a Unix admin who told me that he has compared
> > > the numbers and that for his company it is more expensive to run RedHat
> > > than Solaris because of the increases RedHat has made in their support
> > > fees. I haven't compared the numbers directly so I can't say for sure,
> but
> > > I found it interesting.
> >
> > This is typically true in places with a significant amount of SPARC
> machines
> > lying about. Even in x86 land w/ Sun Hardware, Solaris (especially v 10 )
> looks
> > very very attractive.
>
> Yeah, Linux-UltraSPARC isn't in the best shape. On x86 though SunOS is
> ludicrus. The large multiprocessor machines have tended to be UltraSPARC
> which aids SunOS in the multiprocessor area.

I agree.  However, sun seems to be banking on AMD64, so we'll see how long their
SPARC bigotry will last in terms of features for Solaris.

> HP has been supporting Debian. I believe a couple other companies have
> been supporting Debian on their hardware.

That's outstanding news... I hear that IBM will technically support any distro
as well as long as you throw enough dollars at them, but the quality of the
support can be pretty lack luster compared to support from more established players.

Regards,
Max