[PLUG] It's Springtime, so Companies are Migrating

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Wed May 18 01:01:13 UTC 2005

Rich Burroughs wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2005 1:42 pm, Steve D... said:
> >   Migrating from Solaris to Linux is a no-brainer.
>
> It is? I've had very good experiences with Solaris, and some of the new
> features in Solaris 10 are very interesting. If you were to ask me which
> was more enterprise ready, Solaris or Linux, I would answer Solaris. Some
> people might view that differently, though.

  I have no complaints with Solaris.  I was a Solaris admin in a
previous life.  I like the OS.    I have major heartaches with SUN's
sales departments.  I wrote some ridiculously expensive PO's to SUN
back when I was an admin.  The joke around the office was that the SUN
salesman included the cost of a new car to every SPARC quote.  I have
an even lower opinion of HPUX for the same reason.

  I would never want to be in a singe vendor situation again.  I'd
rather send my hardware RFC to Compaq, Dell, IBM, *and* SUN.  May the
company with the best value win.
Steve D...