[PLUG] It's Springtime, so Companies are Migrating

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed May 18 02:04:22 UTC 2005

>From: Rich Burroughs <rich at paranoid.org>
> Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> >>From: max.reid at saikonetworks.com
> > Yeah, Linux-UltraSPARC isn't in the best shape. On x86 though SunOS is
> > ludicrus.
>
> I'm not so sure that's the case. Sun is now selling Opteron boxes
> themselves, and I would assume their OS will run very well on that
> hardware, at least.

I didn't say it wouldn't run, I merely said it is ludicrus. My experience
was with 5.7 x86, so they may of improved. At the time Linux was a heck
of a lot faster and cheaper, so except for the consistancy (a massive
issue in some cases). I was left with the feeling of "why bother?"
(except for the consistancy issue). At this point 5.10 may have
comparable speed, but Linux has grabbed the commercial support (I'm
refering to hardware/software vendors), and choose the right distribution
and stability isn't an issue. So I'm still left asking the question "why
bother?"

>From: max.reid at saikonetworks.com
> Quoting Elliott Mitchell <ehem at m5p.com>:
> > Yeah, Linux-UltraSPARC isn't in the best shape. On x86 though SunOS is
> > ludicrus. The large multiprocessor machines have tended to be UltraSPARC
> > which aids SunOS in the multiprocessor area.
>
> I agree.  However, sun seems to be banking on AMD64, so we'll see how long their
> SPARC bigotry will last in terms of features for Solaris.

I'm tempted to suggest that SPARC is well past its heyday and may in fact
be dying out...  Once you've moved off SPARC, why bother with SunOS?

> > HP has been supporting Debian. I believe a couple other companies have
> > been supporting Debian on their hardware.
>
> That's outstanding news... I hear that IBM will technically support any distro
> as well as long as you throw enough dollars at them, but the quality of the
> support can be pretty lack luster compared to support from more established players.

The Debian developers are tending to get swallowed by HP. There isn't
wide support, but a few companies will do Debian as well.