[PLUG] Stupid newbie file permisions question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed May 18 08:56:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 21:34 -0700, Jason R. Martin wrote:

> > On this Linux machine I am root and I am also jjj. I just spent the past
> > hour and a half reading about ACLs, but none of it made any sense to me.
> > Plus finals are coming up in three weeks and I'm running out of time.
> > How can I give jjj permanent root permission?
>
> The *NIX Way is fundamentally different than the Redmond way, and it's
> not easy to change over.  Hang in there while you learn it!

OK, permission for the device sounds like it will solve the problem. I'm
going to have to tackle that later, however. Right now I just logged out
and back in again as root so I could see that the backup I made last
night was intact. I was trying to make another backup this morning when
the machine locked up. I restarted it and when it started up it
complained that the file system on the external USB drive (FAT32) was
corrupt and needed to be fixed. Scary, considering that the previous
full backup I have is two weeks old, with incrementals until a week ago
when I didn't realize the tape was full. Plus, those were to tape, and
my tape drive is dead.

I am sorry if I sounded short here tonight. It's been a bitch of a day.
Just the time I'll have to spend putting my Windows 2000 computer back
together is bad enough, but the thought of losing a couple weeks work
has had me on edge all day. I have classes all day tomorrow and I
haven't done all the reading I was supposed to either.

Also, I tend to object when people assume that Windows users are stupid.
OK, maybe I am. I'm trying to learn Linux, but it's going to take me a
long time. In the meantime I'm going to have to take some risks. I'll
probably shoot myself in the foot a few times too. But if you never take
the first step, then you never get anywhere. Also, it does not further
the Linux movement to think non-Linux users are dumb. Makes us dumb
people get all defensive.

In the meantime, I completed finally the download of the full Mandriva
2005 Limited Edition DVD .x86_64. With luck I'll have it installed
before the Clinic meeting this Saturday. With even more luck the video
will finally be right and everything will work. Keep your fingers
crossed for me.

Now I'm going to go for a short run and crash. You guys are great.