[PLUG] It's Springtime, so Companies are Migrating

Ron Braithwaite ron at braithwaites.net
Thu May 19 03:46:30 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 07:12 pm, AthlonRob wrote:
> Jason R. Martin wrote:
> > I know some of this is being tossed around by the Fedora guys.  Apple
> > OSX 10.4 (Tiger) has a new open-source replacement for init called
> > launchd which could be used, or something like initng might be used.  I
> > haven't seen Tiger yet, but launchd is supposed to pull off something
> > like 15 seconds from boot to desktop.  I think they're both supposed to
> > do better dependency checks as well.  Sounds cool.

I just upgraded a couple of Macs from OS X 1.3 to 1.4 (1.4.1 just came out
BTW). The G5 machine definitely boots faster with 1.4 than 1.3. The 800 MHz
640 MB G3 iBook is now so friggin' slow that I lose interest before it gets
started. 10.3 wasn't fast on the G3, but at least it was usable. I'm blowing
10.4 aware and going back to 10.3 on that machine.

-Ron

--
Ron Braithwaite
Technical Consulting Services