[PLUG] Stupid newbie file permisions question

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Thu May 19 06:45:49 UTC 2005

On Wednesday May 18 2005 1:56 am, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Also, I tend to object when people assume that Windows users are
> stupid.

I think you're reading too much into it.  Windows users find
themselves at the short end of a culture-shock during transition.
Different methods for support and saner defaults tend to make Windows
look a tad on the insane side.

> OK, maybe I am. I'm trying to learn Linux, but it's going
> to take me a long time.

Not with that attitude, you'll probably pick it up a lot quicker than
you realize.

> In the meantime I'm going to have to take some risks. I'll probably
> shoot myself in the foot a few times too.  But if you never take the
> first step, then you never get anywhere. Also, it does not further
> the Linux movement to think non-Linux users are dumb. Makes us dumb
> people get all defensive.

Unfortunately, in email we have to go by words alone, and save for
email addresses ending with @msntv.com or @aol.com, we don't have any
equivalent of wearing a big sign that says "I'M STUPID."  The
intuitive course of action when dealing with someone of unknown
intelligence when they're on the path to destruction is usually to
say, "Now, you might not understand this, but that's going to hurt!"

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo at ursine.ca
http://ursine.ca/~baloo/