[PLUG] Stupid newbie file permisions question

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Thu May 19 06:52:27 UTC 2005

On Wednesday May 18 2005 10:46 am, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> Quoth John Jason Jordan, on Wed, 18 May 2005 01:56:34 -0700:
> > stupid. OK, maybe I am. I'm trying to learn Linux, but it's going
> > to take me a long time. In the meantime I'm going to have to take
> > some
>
> That is the beginning of wisdom.  Anyone who tells you that
> learning linux is not a whole lot of work is a bald-faced liar.

OK, I'm calling your bluff.  It's not *that* hard to learn, especially
these days.  You have free support at just a google or an email away,
and as many second opinions as you need in the same place.  Unix just
has some fundamental differences from the Microsoft approach that
take getting used to if you have only been exposed to the Microsoft
approach.  Once you get over that mental hurdle, the rest really just
falls into place.

That being said, if you're handy on MacOS X, you won't be at a loss
here, just be extra careful until you get used to the differences in
UI, particularly with command flags while you're getting adjusted.

> You seem to want to really understand things, and so for you there
> will be cursing, pulling of hair, weeping and gnashing of teeth.
> (Was it any different to learn Winders?)

Well, I only spent about a year going through fits learning Linux,
took me half a decade to get the Microsoft approach down, and I was
exposed to that first.  I was able to pick up Linux and now consider
myself considerably more proficient in Linux than Windows.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo at ursine.ca
http://ursine.ca/~baloo/