[PLUG] Environment Variable Question

Richard C. Steffens rsteff.l at comcast.net
Thu May 19 15:07:20 UTC 2005

I'm working on installing Art of Illusion, which is modeling and rendering
program (http://www.artofillusion.org/). It is written in Java, and can use
the Java Media Framework, which is the part I'm trying to install, now. There
is a diagnostic page at:

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/jmfdiagnostics.html

When it loads, I get the error message:

JMF classes.....Not Found

Following Sun's instructions, I set the following environment variables from
the terminal (I've also exported them in my .profile file):

JMFHOME=/home/someuser/JMF2.1.1
CLASSPATH=$JMFHOME/lib/jmf.jar:$JMFHOME/lib/sound.jar:.:${CLASSPATH}
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$JMFHOME/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

I don't understand the last part of the last two variables, the part that
encloses the variable I'm setting in a pair of braces. When I look at the
variables with echo, I get this:

> echo $CLASSPATH
/home/rsteff/JMF2.1.1/lib/jmf.jar:/home/rsteff/JMF2.1.1/lib/sound.jar:.:
> echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/home/rsteff/JMF2.1.1/lib:

I assume I should be getting something after the trailing : and that this is
why the diagnostic page tells me it can't find the CLASSPATH.

The troubleshooting information on the diagnostic page says:

Classes not found: JMF classes are not included in the CLASSPATH environment
variable. Please make sure the CLASSPATH points to jmf.jar that comes with
your installation.

jmf.jar is found in /home/rsteff/JMF-2.1.1e/lib

Any ideas?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints avaliable at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/