[PLUG] Mandriva Installation Woes

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Fri May 20 21:08:12 UTC 2005

>From: "John Jordan" <johnxj at comcast.net>
> Installing Linux sux.

Yes, but the most recent analysis I've seen stated that it was a *lot*
better than Windows installation. The reason you notice is because you're
installing Linux, but most likely have never done a bare installation of
Windows (a recovery CD/DVD doesn't count).

>From: "John Jordan" <johnxj at comcast.net>
> When it finished I rebooted and it ran about two pages of code and
> hung. Looking at the screen again there is more that might be
> helpful in diagnosing what went wrong -
>
> mounting root filesystem with flags noatime mount: error 6
> mounting ext3 flags noatime well, retrying read-only without any
> flags mount: error 6 mounting ext3 pivotroot: pivot_root (sysroot,
> /sysroot / initrd) failed: 2 Initrd finished Freeing unused Kernel
> memory: 220 K freed Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try
> passing     init= option to Kernel

You've dropped a bunch of newlines which would of been nice to keep, but
oh well. The suggestion of passing "init=" to the kernel would be useless
in this case, since it appears to be failing to mount the root
filesystem; it doesn't say that since it has loaded an initrd and so
tries to boot off that (which is unfortunately useless).

At a guess either the initrd has a bad view of the universe and is trying
to mount the wrong device as the root filesystem, or perhaps the initrd
is missing or failing to load a driver needed to access the root device.
Alas that is all I can say, as I generally avoid using initrd nor do I
have experience with Mandrake.

Anyone played with Mandrake's initrd stuff?