[PLUG] Java, Jikes, and Linux

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon May 23 03:54:47 UTC 2005

I'm sure there are folks on this list who'll be willing to flame me for
saying this, but as far as I'm concerned, I consider Java run-times or
compilers other than Sun's a dead waste of my time, and my
recommendation is that you do likewise. Yes, I know, the Sun offerings
are not free as in freedom, yes, I know about the "Java trap".
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html). There is an awful lot of
good software out there written in Java; if it "happens" to work on
other environments, fine and dandy.

So ... take it to PLUG-TALK if you want to flame me. My experiences with
jikes and blackdown were negative; I gave up on them.