[PLUG] amd 64 distros

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon May 23 05:38:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 21:25 -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # The following was supposedly scribed by
> # John Jordan
> # on Saturday 21 May 2005 08:59 pm:
>
> > After the Clinic I was kind of discouraged and
> >planning on returning it to HP, maybe as early as Monday. But just
> >now, while browsing for 64-bit distros other than Mandriva and
> >Suse,
>
> Looks like there's some work in debian (unofficial as of yet) and
> ubuntu.  Thought Red er... (that thing you wear on your head) had an
> AMD64 version.

I have a number of machines running Fedora Core 2 running in 64 bit
mode.  My laptop is running Fedora Core 4 test 3 for AMD 64.  (Yes, I
have an AMD 64 laptop...)

> Sounds like you're blazing new ground here.  Out-of-the-box isn't always
> going to work (else you would have bought it pre-installed right?), so
> you might as well learn to do things the hard way.  Besides, installing
> debian has gotten oh-so-much-easier since '99 (and even then they said
> a chicken could do it.)

AMD 64 has been working well for a while.  The hardest part seems to
have been working out the issue of having 32 bit and 64 bit packages
installed on the same system for the same package.

--
"If any sign of pleasure is exhibited,
 report to me and it will be prohibited.